Veterans can use medical marijuana with out dropping their eligibility for care and providers, in response to the Division of Veterans Affairs, reported KVIA.com
In a post on the division’s web site, the VA clarified that though marijuana use remains to be thought of federally unlawful, “Veteran participation in state marijuana packages doesn’t have an effect on eligibility for VA care and providers. VA suppliers can and do talk about marijuana use with Veterans as a part of complete care planning, and modify remedy plans as essential”.
Veterans are inspired to talk with their VA suppliers about medicinal hashish however clinicians within the VA can not prescribe or advocate marijuana for medicinal use.
Within the publish, the division included an inventory of suggestions about marijuana and the VA.
Marijuana And The VA
- VA well being care suppliers will report marijuana use within the Veteran’s VA medical report with a purpose to have the data obtainable in remedy planning. As with all medical data, that is a part of the confidential medical report and guarded beneath affected person privateness and confidentiality legal guidelines and rules.
- VA clinicians could not advocate medical marijuana.
- VA clinicians could solely prescribe medicines which have been authorized by the FDA for medical use.
- VA clinicians could not full paperwork/varieties required for Veteran sufferers to take part in state-approved marijuana packages.
- VA pharmacies could not fill prescriptions for medical marijuana.
- VA is not going to pay for medical marijuana prescriptions from any supply.
- The use or possession of marijuana is prohibited in any respect VA grounds. When you’re on VA grounds federal regulation is in power, not the legal guidelines of the state.
- Veterans who’re VA workers are topic to drug testing beneath the phrases of employment.
Photograph By Lelen Ruete.